Friday, April 25, 2008

Bulking Up

Brooke practicing her OHS
One of the most common questions I get comes from women. It seems that all women have the misconception that they are going to get bulky from lifting weights. Women very rarely get bulky from lifting weights. First of all it takes a lot of hard work to build muscle. Many men have a hard time bulking up. The result of weight lifting for women is that they get leaner. Women just do not have the hormonal profile that men have for adding muscle. Adding some muscle is going to increase your metabolism which will help you burn more fat. Weight lifting is a much more efficient method of burning fat than slaving away on one of those elliptical machines. So the result of your weight lifting is going to be that you are leaner.
Workout of the Day
Bear Complex 5 sets of 5
2 min rest between sets

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job everyone who worked out this morning...personal bests all around!!!!

Oh, and Dan be sure to post your time on here so I don't have to wait till Monday to find out how mine compares.

Brooke said...

I'm on the blog!! yay! Wow, I look intense. You would think I was actually lifting some weight. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Your newsletter is great! I just subscribed from your homepage.

Also looking forward to the Tues Apr 29 evening discussion on nutrition...Bob & the IDD team will have to take notes for me while I pick up Caroline at the airport! She's heard all about you and wants to meet you.

Dan Foley said...

Nice job by everybody today. Everybody that came today had a new best in the Bear.

Theresa, thanks for the kind words.

Bill, I finished The Bear in 12:30 with 120lbs. We just about tied. I think it was actually easier for me this time. Up to 125lbs next time for both of us.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should have a head to head competition the next time the complex comes around?? Sounds like it could be fun in a sick, sadistic sort of way.