Friday, June 5, 2009

What to eat on the road

Yesterday was a travel day for me and there are a lot of you who always ask what to eat when you are traveling, so I thought I would share some of the strategies that I use when traveling. I had a layover in the Charlotte airport for a little over an hour so this gave me some time to sit down and have dinner. Most of the restaurants in the airport do not have exactly what I am looking for listed on the menu but most of the time if you ask they will make what you want. So yesterday I found a Mexican restaurant and ordered a salad with a double portion of grilled chicken and a side of avocado. I topped the salad with salsa. This was very good and very filling. If there are times when I cannot find a restaurant that serves healthy food then I will just skip the meal. I think that it is actually better not to eat than to eat junk.

When I arrived at my hotel the first thing I did was go to the grocery store. When you are traveling the best thing I can tell you to do is to go the grocery store and stock up on good food so that you have it around especially for breakfast. So what did I buy at the grocery store? The grocery store had a bistro area where the meats were already cooked(this is great for traveling). I bought some roasted turkey, grilled salmon, carrots, celery, and almonds. These are all foods that do not require any preparation or cooking. So for breakfast this morning instead of eating a continental breakfast I ate turkey and almonds.

Traveling is usually a challenge for most people when it comes to sticking to their nutrition and fitness. The key to meeting this challenge is having strategies in place to keep you on track. Strategies such as going to the grocery store, always getting a hotel room that has a refigerator, ordering an extra portion at dinner to have for breakfast(instead of the continental breakfast), finding a local gym, having bodyweight workouts that you can do in your hotel room, and sprinting(sprinting is great for reducing body fat and building muscle and can be done anywhere).

No comments: